View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM  
acapae
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Pyometra Information

Just to add, vaginal bleeding/ pus discharge isn't always indicative of pyometra, but can be symptomatic of a large number of other uterine and ovarian problems.

Anfreda was spayed in August (aged ~18 months) after suffering vaginal bleeding and pus discharge - there was no sign of uterine infection. We think it must have been something ovarian, going by her other symptoms (including recent behavioural ones).

I appear not to have taken any photos of her op site, but this is how swollen her belly was shortly before things started leaking

As soon as I noticed something was up (evening) I pre-emptively started her on baytril to cover the surgery, and also gave her some metacam for the pain. The op itself went fine, and she was given Vetergesic (opiod painkiller) and metacam post-op. The first night after I kept her in a rat show tank (Ferplast Geo XL) half on a heat pad and gave a smushy cooked carbs meal high in iron-rich protein to promote healing and encourage eating. She was on metacam for 3 days post-op and baytril for 5 days. Cleared 7-day health-check fine.

Her op cost rather more than the OP's did - I think they bumped up the price because it was an emergency. The prices they quoted for rat spays were less than half the price, and I'm really rather suspicious....

I think this is a really good and informative topic to have stickied