View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM  
kiania
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Why are there so many Russian dwarfs on Gumtree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilliondaemon View Post
Kiania - We on the other hand got Scamp perfectly fine, gave the impression I knew about hams and there were no questions asked, not even after she'd dived out of my hand and would've splatted on the shop floor if I hadn't got lucky and caught her... Pet shops need to be more consistent
(The others they knew we had a ham and left us to it.)
Oh, I know! Where I was in Reading, we had two P@H - one was pretty good (or at least the manager and dep. manager knew their stuff, the staff were a bit variable, but the animals were clean, and sensible numbers), and the other was fairly rubbish (staff always too busy to help, rabbits just stereotyping constantly, reptile section never seemed to have any stock other than the reptiles themselves with the rest just empty shelves, and what irked me was they were selling edible tunnels that were smashed to crumbs for full price - yes, it is still edible, but most of it was dust!).

Then again, they did say I could keep tetra in a 2 gal tank (which you shouldn't).

But yes, there was a little bit of checking and telling me Nimh was going to be spoilt, but they didn't ask what kind/size of cage I had (I volunteered that I already had one along with the substrate), and the lack of asking about a wheel was a bit...off. I could have been more impressed, but it wasn't disasterous. Certainly didn't mention anything about her being a hybrid and a diabetic risk (but then I already knew that before we picked her up).

Kids and pets are not a good mix - I know I wasn't especially consciencious when I was young when it came to my pets (especially the hams, but that was because I had rotastak and it was a pain in the bum to clean and get the ham out!). But my parents wouldn't have given them up - just a terrible message to send to your kids. They really need to get out of the mentality that any pet is the kid's pet, and into the idea that the pet is the family's pet - would solve at least half of the rehomes, I reckon!
kiania is offline   Reply With Quote