View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 AM  
Lady Fluff
Hamster Pup

Default Ferplast Mary - cage review

Well, I’ve been happily using the Ferplast Mary cage for the last year. I was fortunate to spot this cage crop up on my local Freecycle list, as the owner was upgrading her rats to a Jenny cage so no longer needed the Mary. I nabbed it, and just in time too – within a few weeks, Pumpkin had nibbled the blue clips holding the Imac Fantasy together and would’ve been one escaped hammy if we didn’t have this as backup! So in she moved…
I would say this is an excellent cage. It’s dimensions are D 50 cm x W 80 cm x H 37 cm and has a bar gap of about 11.3mm so it’s ideal for a Syrian, though I’ve not had dwarfs so I don’t know about its suitability for them (but it’s probably fine for all but Robos). It comes with no wheel, but it means you’re not wasting a silly small one like cages normally supply you with. It does come with a tube, bowl and water bottle however (though, as my cage was second hand, these were not included)

This is a stock photo to show it empty.

It has a single panel front door, and a double panel top door. I find the double door to be useful if I want to access any of Pumpkin’s larger toys without taking the cage to bits – something that was always a bit of a problem with the Imac. The wire just clips to the plastic base with 4 secure clips. The plastic base is nice and deep, so you can get a good layer of bedding in there (great for hiding treats like milk biscuits in!) and there’s loads of space for toys in there and still plenty of room for your hammy to run around like a little furry loon!

I like this cage so much that I’ve just got another one (actually bought this time!) for my forthcoming hammy! Prices online vary – I have seen it for as much as £91.55 (yikes!) but I paid £36 from ZooPlus who are currently offering it at a reduced price plus I got 10% off as a new customer. So there’s a massive variation in price around – I certainly wouldn’t pay the top price for it, however great the cage is!

So this is my current setup:

So, in a nutshell:
PROS:
Great size
Easy to clean
Good access to your hammy and toys
Good ventilation

Cons:
Bar chewing is a risk
Quite heavy
Price varies hugely – make sure you don’t get caught out!
Not particularly interesting to look at (not an issue for me as it’s the occupier who makes it interesting as far as I’m concerned, but if you prefer funkier cages, then this probably isn’t gonna be your thing)
Doesn’t come with a wheel (but how many cages come with a suitable one anyway?!)
Lady Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote