View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 AM  
babyboos
Retired Moderators

Send a message via MSN to babyboos Send a message via Yahoo to babyboos
Default What is a hamstery?

There appears to be a bit of a boom in hamsteries being set up just now - I am interested to hear what everyone thinks a good quality hamstery actually is? I personally do not think you can consider a couple of petstore bought hamsters bought and bred for more pet store hamsters a hamstery. Please check with any hobby breeder you contemplate adopting a hamster from what their goals and aims are in their breeding efforts, where their stock came from and their participation in the wider hamster fancy. Are they a member of any clubs/organisations?

There are sadly hundreds literally of hamsters living their lives in rescues or being euthanised by agencies every week, please think of these before you rush out to buy a baby hamster from a "hamstery". I always try to meet someone's desires with a rescue before I will part with any babies, and often I find people are happy to go with an older hamster once they see the difference - they can hold and play with them straight away and not worry so much about things like wet tail and biting.

I think we should be more actively encouraging rescue adoption rather than obtaining baby hamsters. And everyone who has a female hamster visit a rescue before deciding to breed.
babyboos is offline   Reply With Quote