View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 AM  
Jane
PM Fluffy for custom title

Send a message via MSN to Jane

Charlie is now about 14 months old and has never been over about 130g. I'm not sure how much he is at the moment - I'll weigh him later. He's pretty small and was hand reared but he is from a good breeder. He gets fresh food daily - it's either some vegetable, baby food, porridge or something similar. He also has a large cage and unlimited time on his wheel. He does go on his wheel a lot, so maybe that doesn't help. However, he seems happy! Yes, he's a bit small. I've spoken to his breeder about it and she agrees it would be better if he weighed more but he's happy. After long discussions with her I took his wheel away for a bit, he had lots of time out of the cage (over two hours a day I'd say) but he didn't seem happy without his wheel.

I know size and everything is important when showing hamsters but I think (and I know you will all agree) that their happiness and well being comes first. Of course they'll enjoy the extra treats and that's great, but I don't agree with taking wheels away - or not for long, atleast.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote