View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM  
Almi
Hamster Pup

Default Looking for breeders in the U.S.

Hello all,

I am looking to start breeding again (specifically, Syrians, Campbell's, and winter whites if I can find some), as a family owned pet shop I used to work for has asked me to breed hamsters for them. I used to breed an occasional litter and sell it to them, trying to do my best with what I could find in the local pet stores around here after a search for any breeders around me had proved fruitless.

So I am not a novice by any means on the whole process and of course genetics, but this time around I would really like to get some good quality hamsters (preferably with pedigrees so I have an idea of what I'm going to be producing with each pairing) shipped to me from a good breeder. I am particularly interested in greys of any type and also yellows, torts and tri-coloreds for Syrians and blues and mottleds for dwarfs.

So far an internet search for a breeder that has what I am looking for and ships has failed me. I found one breeder that breeds Syrians and Campbell's (in colors/patterns I am looking for, looks like they have good type, etc.), but they do not ship. Does anyone know of any breeders in the U.S. that have what I'm looking for and/or will ship?

Also, I will be providing Syrians and dwarfs for two stores (the family has two stores, one in the city I live in and another 1.5 hours away), and they told me they generally sell 25-40 Syrians per month and maybe 20 dwarfs per month (though they might sell more dwarfs if I can provide them with some friendly ones). I am, of course, aware of average litter sizes of the species, their gestation length, how often they should be bred, etc. But to meet this quota of hamsters every month, does anyone have any suggestions on how many males/females I should have of each species and any insight on how I should go about it? I was thinking of getting perhaps 5-6 female Syrians and rotating their breeding schedules that so that no one is having litters back to back or getting overbred. I'm not sure, as I've never had to fulfill a quota of hamsters before.

Thanks in advance!
Almi is offline   Reply With Quote