View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 AM  
Nikorusama
Senior Hamster

Send a message via MSN to Nikorusama
Default Re: Stop! Thinking of getting a pet hamster? Please read first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Another thing to consider before you get a hamster.....

The dwarf species are social species, so you should always get at least a pair, preferably litter mates. However, they may fight especially upon maturity, so you must be prepared to separate them and have separate cages for them.

The possibility of fighting IS NOT a reason to only get a single dwarf hamster - they need company of their own kind, it would be wrong to force a dwarf to live solitarily. However there is always the odd one that decides he "vonts to be alone!", and it is a possibility you must be aware of and prepared to deal with.
German hamster forum members would argue against this...they prefer all hamsters to be kept on their own due to fighting. You can't always be there to split them up 24 hours a day. I'd be inclined to listen to their advice as I had two sisters who fought. One almost died from "bullying" they had LOTS of space so I didn't think it would be much of a problem but it was. Plus Germans seem to keep their hamsters in much better environments than we do do over here so I like to follow their advice.
Nikorusama is offline   Reply With Quote