View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM  
jayne
Retired Moderators

Default Savic Rody (including Deluxe) ~ Cage Review

I thought i would do a review on the Savic Rody cage. This was the first cage i bought for my chinese hamsters and i would like to start by pointing out that this cage is really only recommended for dwarves. I would say 2 maximum to allow more floor space for burrowing which mine certainly loved to do

So here is the basic picture of the Savic Rody Deluxe

Size: 55 cm x 39 cm x 26 cm without the tubes being built up.
With the tubes, the cage becomes 47cm high.
Hamster cage equipped with platform, drinking bottle, feeding bowl, tubes and hamster wheel.

This cage was perfectly fine for 2 dwarves, however i did have to separate and ended up buying the standard Rody. Over a few months i made myown variations to them.

Here is a picture of Sweets cage, I removed the original wheel that came with it as it squeeked too much for my liking and replaced it with a silent spinner (regular). In this photo, the green platform is still there to hold the water bottle and bowl in place and also as an extra hidey hole which is good use of space.

As with a lot of other cages you can make your own variations to adjust to your own taste or your hamsters. In the end i ended up getting rid of the green platform, but..... cut it so that i still had the end for holding the water bottle. This allowed more space for a separate bed and other toys

You can see the green bit with the bottle in the right hand side of this photo

After Sour died, i decided to make use of all of the tubes and connected the two together allowing much more space for Sweet and her toys.

Play cage

Sleeping/eating/drinking cage

So, overall here is what i think

Pros -
* Great cage for making sure your dwarves don't escape
* Tank style making it easy for interacting with your hamster for taming etc.
* Priced around £24.99 (from Pets @ Home) making it affordable
* Additional tubes can be purchased from some pet stores and online.
* Great for cleaning, remove the lid and all you need to worry about is the base, unless you use tubes that is.
* Secure clips on both sides of cage
* you can easily move everything around to give more variety for your hamster

Cons -
* if using tubes, can be awkward to tame hamsters as they tend to hide away in them
* tubes are a bit time consuming to clean/dry
* the wheel that comes with it, squeeks quite a bit, hence the reason i had to replace both of mine with silent spinners (worth it though!)

Ermmmm... cant seem to think of any other cons, feel free to comment if you have had any other experiences or comments. If i think of anything else i will edit and notify

All in all, a really good cage for the price and everything you get in it. Spares are easy to find too, some websites sell spare bases/lids/tubes etc.

Hope this is ok and everyone can understand it, i tend to get carried away when i type!

In my heart ~ Sweet, Sour, Pepsi, Max & Dasha ~ RIP xxxx
jayne is offline   Reply With Quote