View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 AM  
Holly
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Furry Life's Happy World - Cage Review

I have just got this cage after spotting Internet Nobody's at the Kingswinford Show in December and thinking it looked pretty fab. I had a bit of trouble tracking it down but eventually, thanks to Basia and Internet Nobody I found one on ebay.

Here's a picture of the box:

Slightly odd name, slightly odd box!

Ignoring all the tubes (as I never had any intention of using these anyway) it's a tank style cage that measures approx 62cm x 38cm - that's comparable to the size of a Savic Cambridge and Imac Fantasy (though the Imac has two full levels), bigger than the Gabber Lux and about 8 - 9 cm smaller each way than a Gabber Rex. It has a solid shelf that covers approximately one quarter of the floor area and a wheel that attaches to the shelf. It also has a ventillated "bedroom" area attached to the roof reached via a wire ladder and a water bottle that hangs through a hole in the lid.

Here's a picture of it set up as it's designed (again ignoring those tubes):

The way it is designed to be set up, whilst perfect for a dwarf, is not suitable for a Syrian for one reason: The wheel is too small and, due to the shelf, ladders, roof bedroom and water bottle, there is nowhere to fit a Syrian sized wheel.

Soooo....I've changed the layout slightly!

I've switched the roof and put the bedroom area above the shelf leaving enough space to fit a wodent wheel at the other end. I've had to rig up something for the ladder to stand on as it's too short to reach the floor instead of the shelf so I'm on the lookout for replacement ladders (also because they are wire and I've had to weave cardboard through the rungs).

Pros:
*Nice size for someone with lots of hamsters who doesn't want them in poky little cages but who hasn't the space for massive ones. Great for a single dwarf but I'd like it just a bit bigger for a Syrian really.

*Fab design - I love the well ventillated, space saving bedroom area and I like the fact that, with the shelf switched bar chewing opportunities are kept to a minmum

* Easy clean out as with all tank cages

Cons:
*The water bottle - I'm not keen on the design as it hangs a bit low and I'm worried it will touch the bedding and leak. I think I'll probably drill a hole and attach a normal bottle in the usual way.

*Set up - the tubes are NIGHTMARE. It took me two hours to set up the cage as it is (with minmal tubes ) and my hands were raw afterwards. I had to file the holes where the tubes attach to the lid with sandpaper in the end.

*Entrance to the nest area too small for an adult Syrian. Molly's ok with it now but I'll need to sand the opening to enlarge it soon.

In conclusion (and despite the name!!) I like it a lot, now I just need to wait and see if Molly does! At the moment she is in the process of removing all her bedding from the upper nest area and putting it under the shelf

I'll give her some time to settle in and see how she goes. I may eventually put her in a Rex and keep this for a dwarf or baby Syrians.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote