View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 05:13 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: My hamster sleeps all the time and never really comes out to play even at night

Hi alli. It could be that while he was with the RSPCA, he did`nt get the stimulation or the company that he would get in a home environment, so he does`nt know anything else except to eat, sleep and perhaps potter around during nightime hours.

If it`s any consolation, my new syrian sleeps all day aswell and although I check on him numenrous times a day, if he`s asleep, I tend just to leave him. Sometimes he will wake up late aftrenoon or evening and he will come out of his bed, look at me as if I`m not there, have a long pee in his corner, pick up a few edibles and then tootle off to bed again!

Because of Lisa`s age (I know he`s a male! ) he could be contented and set in his ways, so if you try to change his routine, it could backfire and make him grumpy or nippy. This is why I don`t disturb Boris unless I open the cage doors to tidy up or spot clean. Sometimes he hears me, sometimes he just stays in his nest. I`m hoping to start letting him out for a supervised run around in a playpen I`m going to make for him, but that will depend on his waking times and whether I want to disturb a sleeping hamster!