View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 PM  
Emma
Hamster Addict

Send a message via MSN to Emma

One hamster who is always going to stick in my mind is my old Syrian Mitzi, who I'm sure I've mentioned before! She was the first hamster I had after leaving home, she had the biggest personality of any hamster I've ever had. She was incredibly people-oriented and nothing phased her - including coming with me to lectures one day (it wasn't planned - we'd been to the vets to drop of one of my pigs for castration, and I bought Mitzi so my friend could double check her teeth for me as they were worrying me. We ran late and I didn't have time to go home.....so she sat in her travel cage in the lecture theatre and learnt biochemistry with me! and then rode the bus home). I also have fond memories of her escaping out of her ball, and then strutting round the flat like she owned the place (she never needed catching, she'd just walk back to us when her name was called). I also remember introducing her to the guinea-pigs outside in the summer - she was much more interested in the dandelion leaves.

She sadly died at the age of 20 months last autumn from a thyroid carcinoma. At first we thought the lump was a haematoma and would heal itself, but when it suddenly started to grow we decided to operate (it was either that or put her to sleep), sadly she died under the anaesthetic. My pathology professor helped my diagnose what her lump had been, and it would probably have killer her even if she had survived the operation sadly.

As I'm moving around a lot at the moment I didn't want to leave Mitzi in this garden here, so she's buried under one of my favourite trees in the local woods. Whenever we go for a walk there we can visit

Anyway - Mitz was one of a kind.

Hamster Central Moderator

Owned by Merry, Pippin, Lola & Shirley (roborovskis) Toby & Hazel (syrians)

Missing my angel Phoebe