View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 AM  
fluffymunchkins
#1 Hamster Mom

Default Re: Posting threads some members may not wish to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach210 View Post
First of all sorry I'm not a regular poster on here, I do appreciate learning from other hamster owners by reading threads (and looking at the cute pictures!)

I posted a thread on here a while ago with links to an article about rodent farming. It may have been upsetting to some people as there were pictures of animals being kept in tiny cramped cages. The overall reaction was along the lines of 'oh thats horrible lets not think about it'. I was dissapointed as raising awareness of the conditions of animals bred for petshops could result in people buying from breeders instead and avoiding animals from petshops as buying them simply makes room for more and increases demand for farmed babies.
Even if it doesn't seem that we are being aware infact thread like that are very helpful!
Even if its not said out loud, many people after reading that will look to breeders instead of pet shops or look for a responisble pet shop that doesn't get their stock from rodent farms.
Including people who aren't members of the forum or are only lurkers.

I know i didn't know about it until i read thread like that, and i'm now much more careful about where my pets are from!

So i think i might be one the first to say, actually thankyou for posting it
Just don't make it a regular thing